If you’re concerned if you can donate plasma if you smoke weed then read on. Donating blood is very important as every drop can save someone’s life. It’s easy to donate blood and it takes only minutes to do so. Health experts also encourage everyone to donate blood as this is also healthy for the body. The body replenishes lost blood and this enhances cardiovascular health, reduces your risk of cancer and obesity. The same goes for donating blood plasma.
What is Blood Plasma?
Blood plasma is a blood component with a yellowish color. When donated blood is left standing, you can expect blood to separate from the plasma in a short while. Blood plasma is the liquid portion of blood that delivers various proteins and cells to different areas of the body.
Plasma is vital as it helps us when we are sick. Blood plasma ensures that the body’s electrolytes are in check and prevent infections or the development of blood disorders. Donated plasma is used by patients to balance the body’s proteins and cells. The proteins can help detect different diseases and treat them. This is why all blood centers and hospitals are required to have a steady supply of plasma as well as other blood products.
How Blood Plasma Donation is Made
Donating blood plasma is similar to donating blood but the process takes longer. First, a needle is placed on a vein in your arm through plasmapheresis. This process takes cycles and thus, donating plasma can take hours to complete.
Whole blood is initially drawn the arm and plasma are removed from the red blood cells and other blood components. As soon as the two components have been separated, these will be returned to the body together with a saline solution. This will trigger the body to replace plasma that has been removed from the whole blood. The first blood donation will take around two hours and afterward, you will return every 90 minutes to donate more plasma.
Blood plasma is very important and this is why blood centers ensure the safety of every donation. It starts by ensuring that all donors who want to donate blood are healthy before their blood plasma is let. In the US, there are different requirements before you donate blood and blood plasma and these must be carefully followed to ensure the quality of the donated blood material.
- The donor must be at least 18 years old.
- He must weigh at least 110 lbs.
- He must pass an extensive screening that includes medical history taking.
- He must pass a quick medical examination.
- He must test negative for any transmissible disease including viruses that cause HIV and hepatitis.
- He must not have used IV medications or drugs. These are IV drugs that are not prescribed by a doctor. These will make sure that the donor is not exposed to any viruses that cause HIV or hepatitis.
If you still have questions about donating blood and blood plasma, contact your local blood-letting center or hospital. If you would like to donate blood to save the life of a friend or a family member and don’t know if you qualify, consult a doctor or medical professional before you do.
Can You Donate Blood Plasma if You Smoke Weed?
The simple answer is YES. You can donate blood plasma and whole blood even if you smoke weed. BUT there are a few precautions and we’ll discuss these later. There’s no problem with weed users because blood centers are more concerned about donors who are using dangerous drugs and not marijuana. Also, tests conducted before a blood donation focuses on the prevention of the transmission of dangerous diseases and not about the presence of THC.
Some Important Precautions of Weed Use Before Donating Blood
Yes, you can donate blood even if you use marijuana but you must remember the following before you
- Avoid smoking hours before the donation or at least a day before you donate. This will ensure that THC is not in your blood.
- Do not eat any cannabis edibles either. This cannabis product takes longer to remove out of your system and thus THC will remain longer in your blood.
- Avoid consuming cannabis before a test because doing so can severely affect your judgment. As you can see, plasma donation is not as simple as a blood donation. You need to follow instructions to come back and let blood after specific times. You won’t be able to follow these instructions if you are too high.
- If you’re too high or intoxicated, you will have very low blood pressure or hypotension. Having hypotension disqualifies you from donating blood.
Other Factors that Can Disqualify You from Letting Blood or Blood Plasma
Yes, you can donate blood even if you smoke weed but not when you have the following:
- If you have previously had Ebola virus
- If you test positive for Hepatitis B or C and HIV.
- If you have blood cancer including leukemia or lymphoma
- If you use illicit IV drugs or any injections that are not prescribed by your doctor.
- If you or any member of your family has inherited blood clotting disorders.
- If you’re a male and you’ve had sexual contact with other males in the past 12 months.
- If you have had an acute infection during the day of your donation.
- If you have had a tattoo or a piercing during the previous 12 months.
- If you use medications like blood thinners, drugs to treat prostate enlargement, drugs for multiple sclerosis, and drugs to treat acne.
- If you had recently traveled to a country where there is an increased risk in marijuana like countries in Asia, South America, and the Caribbean. You will be asked to wait a certain period before you can donate blood.
Now that you know can you donate plasma if you smoke weed, it’s time to schedule your blood plasma donation. Every bit helps now that more and more people need blood and blood plasma. Encourage your friends and family to do the same.