With the acceptance of marijuana in the past few years, more and more people have embraced different ways to use their favorite weed. Cannabis edibles are no doubt a good option to reinvent the way people can get high. This is the very reason why we see different types of cannabis edibles these days – from crème Brulee infused edibles, to beef jerky, backing up the fact that there are a lot of ideas that you can come up with when it comes to creating cannabis edibles.
Keep in mind that making cannabis edibles needs a specific amount of knowledge, and such knowledge is very important in crafting the perfect batch. On the other hand, making some mistakes may have an impact on the quality of the edibles that you are trying to create.
People often look for edibles that are both potent and delicious. The bad news, however, is that you cannot just achieve such quality edibles by just adding some pre-brought mixtures on a cookie sheet, adding weed and placing it inside the oven.
Whether you are a seasoned chef or a newbie in creating cannabis goodies, you will certainly benefit from what this guide has to offer. Read through and expose yourself further to the wonderful world of cannabis edibles.
Positive Effects of Marijuana Edibles
Here are some of the advantages that you can expect out of consuming cannabis edibles, and their obvious effects in comparison to actual weed.
- To start it off, there is no need for you to be an expert chef to create amazing edibles. You just need to be able to follow some easy to follow marijuana edibles recipe, or even be curious enough to create your own.
- Once you have finally gotten the hang of making cannabis edibles, you have the option to alter the ingredients, being free to make your own infusions.
- You can also expect a healthier alternative to the ‘usual’ way of consuming weed. Rather than smoking or vaping your favorite strain, adding them up to your favorite sweets makes things more interesting.
- It is also a generally accepted fact that THC edibles last longer and are more relaxing compared to THC when smoked.
- Cooking using marijuana butter provides you with the option of creating delicious and amazing food out of baking goodies. This includes creating hash candy or bud brownies which deliver the same medical effects of actual marijuana, from providing relief to fighting the annoying symptoms of cancer.
- In places wherein the use of cannabis may still be illegal or restricted, consuming cannabis edibles is one of the most discreet ways of consuming these products.
- The actual effects of edible cannabis come in relatively slower, oftentimes stronger, and is known to last longer compared to marijuana that is smoked.
Overall, it is clear that if you create cannabis edibles, you can get a stronger, longer, and a relatively more legal experience compared to smoking marijuana. There are a number of cons that you might have to expect, however. For one, you cannot just expect to get the high that you usually get out of smoking marijuana. Also, dosing is easier with smoking weed compared with edibles. It is also possible that overdosing on edibles may create a frightening experience, though it is not really dangerous, physically. Since the actual effects of edibles may take longer, up to an hour even, you may have to wait before the actual effects start to kick in.
How to Make Marijuana Edibles
At this point, you may be wondering how to make those cannabis edibles that will surely make your mouth water. Follow the steps below, and be guided accordingly.
Step 1: Choose the Right Strain and Preparation
The very first step in creating cannabis edibles is the selection process. It is very important to select a high-quality weed strain. You can then make the quality even better by decarboxylating it. The process means that you need to bake it at 240 degrees between 25 minutes to one hour on a baking sheet. The length of time of baking actually depends on the amount of weed that you are using for making cannabis edibles. This process will help in concentrating the bud, converting more of the cannabinoids to the right THC potency that you want.
Choosing the right strain will highly depend on the effects that you want to achieve.
Indicas are known to provide profound relaxation. On the other hand, sativas are generally more stimulating. If you are interested in treating pain and anxiety, you might want to choose an indica strain. On the other hand, if you want to focus on treating fatigue, sativa strains may be more appropriate.
The good thing about cannabis these days is that there area lot of options available, coming as a result of the laborious efforts of strain creators. These strains also fall in various categories, and they offer different kinds of experiences as well. If you are not yet familiar with strain selections, you can start by telling the potency of the strain. This can be done by its smell. You would surely want a deep and potent aroma out of the strain that you choose. You may also have to test different kinds of strains for THC content. Asking for recommendations coming from other users and vendors will also help, especially when it comes to determining the effects that each of the strains can give you.
Step 2: Cook Using Marijuana Butter
Cannabis butter, otherwise known as cannabutter, is a very effective ingredient for any weed baking project. This is the basis of most of the cannabis edibles available these days. If you have not tried making one, here is a recipe for you:
- 1 cup (or less) water
- 1 pound of unsalted butter
- 1-ounce high-quality weed trim (otherwise, lightly ground)
- Place your butter and decarboxylated weed in a pot, together with a little water. The water should just be enough to ensure that the butter does not burn.
- Heat your mixture on a low simmer for about 3 to 6 hours. The length of time for baking highly depends on the number of edibles that you want to make. Also, as long as the butter does not burn, the longer the time you heat, you can expect that the more cannabinoids will go into the butter.
- Allow the mixture to cool, making it enough to handle. Afterwards, strain the plant material out, and remove them.
- Place the mixture in the fridge and allow it to stay overnight until it hardens.
- Remove the now hardened butter out of the residual water. That is now your main ingredient, the cannabutter.
Alternative Option: Instead of heating on a low simmer, some heat in a crockpot for up to 6 hours.
Step 3: Start Making Canna Goodies
With your canna butter or canna oil at hand, you can now start baking or making your favorite goodies. Among them are cakes, cookies, and brownies. You may even be able to make candies and syrups with either canna butter or canna oil. You just need to follow certain instructions in making these foods, replacing the oil in the recipe using your canna butter. Expect amazing medicinal effects coupled with a great taste that will certainly delight your buds.
- Weed Infused Brownies
When it comes to popularity, there is no doubt that brownies top the list. It is very easy to make, even for individuals who have not yet tried how to bake.
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- ¾ cup canna butter
- 1 ¾ cups coconut sugar
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 minced mint leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, greasing with cooking spray a 9×13-inch glass baking pan.
- Put chocolate in a big glass mixing bowl, melting it either a saucepan of boiling water or microwave.
- Add canna butter to the melted chocolate, mixing it until combined.
- Mix together salt, sugar,and vanilla to the chocolate mixture.
- Add eggs (preferably one at a time), mixing it thoroughly until incorporated fully.
- Combine together flour, and the other optional ingredients (mint and/or walnuts)
- Pour batter to the baking pan. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Allow cooling slightly. Divide into pieces. Make sure that the brownies are marked accordingly, especially if others are also using your kitchen. If you are planning to consume it in just a week, the cookies can be stored in a refrigerator, or in the freezer to make it last for several months.
- Weed Cookies
One advantage of preparing weed cookies is that it is not just easy to share among friends, but also easy to monitor the actual dosage. This will allow you to consume weed in moderation.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of canna butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees.
- Place canna butter in a mixing bowl, and add sugar and vanilla extract.
- In a different bowl, mix salt, flour,and baking soda.
- Stir in brown sugar, eggs, chips, and all other remaining ingredients.
- Add enough water, just to make a hard-semi-solid addition.
- Stir in the canna butter, sizing your cookies depending on the weed that you have used.
Every cookie is equal to a single, large bowl of smoked marijuana. Keep in mind that effects may take at least an hour, which means that it is not good to eat too many cookies. A half cookie will already give you amazing results.
- Weed Candies
Weed candies can come in the form of lollipops, making them very attractive aside from being palatable.
- Lollipop sticks
- Cannabis tincture
- Lollipop Mold
- Candy thermometer
- ½ cup of corn syrup
- 1 cup natural sugar
- Citrus flavor
- ¼ cup clean-filtered water
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and clean-filtered water, all in a saucepan.
- Turn heat to medium, dissolving all sugar as you stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, use a candy thermometer to take the temperature, seeing that it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pan from the source of heat while the thermometer is still reading.
- See until the mixture cools down to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring the tincture in afterwards.
- Add the citrus flavor. If the tincture you use is alcohol based, make sure to avoid exposing it to flames, or other heat sources.
- Pout the entire mixture into your lollipop molds, inserting your lollipop sticks after
- Allow to completely cool for about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Avoid these Mistakes
There is no doubt that preparing cannabis edibles is fun. However, there are some mistakes that rookies commonly make. Here are some of them.
- Cooking with Raw Cannabis
When cooking cannabis, the first thing that you would want to do is activating the THC and CBD inside. This needs heat, thus requiring the process called decarboxylation. Raw cannabis that is directly placed on the recipes will not give the exposure of cannabinoids found in the plants. This means that you will just be wasting cannabis.
- Grinding Your Weed too Fine
While this may sound great, and often recommended by others, grinding your cannabis too fine will only give a very strong and grassy flavor. It can also turn your oil or butter into green. Rather, you can use a course grinder so that your weeds can have the same consistency as that of table salt.